Coconut snacks and coconut water pros and cons in sports and office work

Coconuts, and also coconut water, seem to be all the rage these days. I’ve looked pretty extensively into coconuts and have noted their benefits and usefulness in many situations.

Off the bat: as always, not all the hype is justified. Still, according to WebMD:

“Most unflavored coconut water contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams sugar, 61 milligrams (mg) of potassium, and 5.45 mg of sodium compared to Gatorade, which has 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 mg of potassium, and 13.75 mg of sodium.”

Looks like coconut water can be very useful in many situations. I certainly have found it to be that way. Its benefits include

• good mineral content in bioavailable form: hard-to-get potassium and magnesium
  • Electrolyte-laden isotonic drink to refresh in the office between coffee
  • Doesn’t cause a sugar high and brain fog like sugary sodas
  • A better choice than Gatorade, other sports drinks and energy drinks: less sugar (although some), no artificial additives, no harmful HFCS, good balance of electrolytes
  • Coconut water is one of my favorite things to mix Ambronite with
  • Available in tropical climates than isotonic drinks
  • Can be used to rehydrate during high intensity exercise, diarrhoea if ORS or medical-grade drinksa re not available, or other situation when hydration is really needed

As a plus, I also like the dried down coconut chips as a snack - nutritious, hunger quenching and tasty snacks are always needed during tough days at the office or at home, and on long journeys to keep me going.

The cons include price, sugar content (which is still there and may not be needed / may be excessive), and the diminishing marginal returns after drinking some coconut water during the day. But currently it looks like the pros outweigh the cons as a delicious and highly functional treat, and even the sugar content during / post exercise is justified.

One simple lowdown can be checked out here: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/truth-about-coconut-water#3

How do you use coconut water? Have you tried coconutizing your Ambronite or other smoothies?

Great Post! I buy my fresh whole coconuts at my locale grocery store. I cut them myself. I like to keep it original having the experience of cutting open my own coconut and drinking the fresh juices is something that reminds me of my vacations to tropical climates. The locals would climb up and cut them down for me and my friends it was a fun experience.

The freshest ones are the best! I’ve also noticed a great variance in taste and sweetness levels. Many packaged brands in the US and Europe (Innocent) seem to be of consistent quality, but the fresh ones are unbeatable!